Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Granada 101

¡Hola amigos! 


Today we had our first tour of Granada.  The Resident Directors of our tour gave us all maps that they circled and numbered with important spots.  We were shown several super markets (mercados), a couple plazas with beautiful statues, our school CERGI, banks, and some other important features.  It was very helpful.  There is so much more than we first saw yesterday.  The main streets in most Spanish towns are named after Christopher Columbus.  So I thought that was pretty cool!  


Also, there is a lot of Catholic history in Granada which is interesting for me.  Isabel and Ferdinand have a couple of statues and buildings for them.  And their bodies are located in the Cathedral in Granada.  We got a little taste of the history of Granada today.  But at 4:30 we are going on a "Touristy Tour."  This tour is over two hours so I am sure that I will have more information on Granada after that.


Mostly, we got up (perhaps a little later than intended), but the jet lag so far is not bad or really noticeable.  The hostel has been very nice so far.  The free Wi-Fi is wonderful and I have learned on thing: Google is amazing.  Once we move in with our host families on Saturday, I won't be able to get online as frequently I believe.  But supposedly there is a internet cafe that has free internet as long as you buy something.  That sounds perfect to me.  I am excited/nervous to meet my Senora.  She is a young woman (I  hear 30 or so) and she lives with her 33 year old brother and 60 year old father.  Her father works at a hotel in Sierra Nevada and she takes care of a child in the morning.  I am hoping that by child they mean baby.  The Spanish babies that we have seen out and about are gorgeous.  They have these big beautiful eyes. 



We had a free breakfast ticket today, so we left the hostel and found this little restaurant.  For breakfast we were given a drink and bread.  I had tea and it was very nice, but not much in the way of breakfast for most people in our group.  There is so much bread here.  Everywhere you go: pan, pan, pan.  I love bread, but I think considering half of my family is gluten intolerant I am going to be tempting the fates.  I had a mini conversation with the server today.  It wasn't extensive or great Spanish, but it made me feel good that I was able to communicate.


After the breakfast we went on the tour.  It was presented entirely in Spanish and I was thrilled to find I understood almost 100% of it.  Of course the tour guide, Narea,  spoke very slowly and clearly.  Most people here speak so quickly that even the English is difficult to understand.  I had been under the impression that the lisp they have in Spain was on the "s," but it is actually on the "c."  I think it sounds lovely.  I like their accent.  We saw our first gypsies today.  I was disappointed to see that they wore regular clothing and looked like regular people-just people pushing Rosemary on you.  I was hoping for some big skirts, hoop earrings, and bells or something!  A little more Hunchback of Notre Dame if you will.  









Of course...High School Musical.


After the tour we went back to market and bought some apples and oranges.  Then we looked around a little bit.  The fruit was tasty and not too expensive.  But I am surprised how expensive things are.  I think Spain has made me cheaper though.  I like buying things with euros--it looks like fake money!  We bought some stamps today.  International stamps are 78 cents (euro style).  So things are a bit pricing considering every euro is about $1.50.  Last night we went to a very tasty restaurant.  Kelly, MaryPat, and I shared two tapas dishes and the whole group of us had a pitcher of Sangria.  We are told that at most tapas bars in Granada when you order a drink, all the tapas come with it for free.  Since last night cost about 7 euro each, we're going to try to find a cheaper bars for tonight. 

Tortillas Espanas: eggs and potatoes



Veggie Empanada :Very yummy!!


So we were a little hungry!!






Still no sign of my luggage.  If it does not arrive by tonight we are going to call the airline.  I'm staying optimistic, but I really want my luggage back.  Our next tour is in an hour, so I am going to partake in a little siesta.  I'll write soon!





7 comments:

  1. Granada is so beautiful. Looks like you're having fun so far. I hope your luggage arrives today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great blog.

    I had a Dutch teacher that was very outspoken about things. One day he was talking about how Dutch people were cheap. He turned to us and said, 'Actually, there is one group of people that are cheaper than the Dutch.' We were all hoping for awkwardness' sake that he wouldn't say 'Jews'. But, instead he said 'The Spanish'.

    So hopefully you pick up learn some thriftiness from them.

    If there is one, check out the 'New Europe' free tours in your towns. They are done in English and all you have to do is tip the guide a few euros at the end. They are usually college aged Americans that are scraping by just so they can party in Europe, so here's the secret: After you tip them following the tour, invite them for a free beer at a local cantina. They'll tell you all sorts of local secrets and things to check out and may invite you to a party or two. Total cost for a day's tour and inside city info: 8-10 euro.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kaye! Sounds amazing! I would be hoping for a little more Hunchback of Notre Dame as well :) Have a great time! I'm looking forward to reading all your posts....you're already on my bookmark haha :)

    Hope your luggage comes soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gosh I hope you have internet at your Senora's. I like being able to gchat with you. Nice blog, honey. I won't comment again cuz who wants a mom commenting on their daily activities? But it is going to be fun to follow your adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello darling! I can't believe you guys are really there! It is so weird to think that you 3 are taking those pictures half way around the world. I am so excited that you have had such a great time so far (except for the luggage thing). I thought about you all, especially Kelly, on Monday praying that your flight went okay. I just got a skype so I can talk to you face to face. Have a blast and thanks for the blog to keep me posted! Love love love!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're on my bookmark, mamma! It goes CNN News, NYT, Kaye Foley blog, Illinois Email, Facebook, and so on. So you made my top three.... ;)
    Anyways, I hope you have a great trip and I can't wait to read your blog often. I love how you were disappointed with the gypsy you saw lol.

    Oh! I just made Michelle something super cute. You'll have to see it when you get back to the US of A.

    I really hope your luggage comes. Good thing your mom is an excellent packer and you have some clothes.

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like you are having the time of your life already. I hope your trip is absolutely amazing - I will be sending you an email sometime today. And trust me, I will be reading your blog daily hahaha. I love you. :)

    Kelly

    ReplyDelete