¡Hola Todas!
My title for this entry is a quote I liked in my Rick Steve’s travel book! This quote really expresses the beauty of Granada. Today we went to La Alhambra, so brace yourself, lots of pictures coming your way.
I woke up this morning around 9:15am ready to start my day of tourist-ing. Carmen was gone, but Eduardo (her dad) was here. When I was ready for breakfast (corn flakes cereal) he brought me a bowl of warm milk. Then I realized that there had been a miscommunication last night at dinner. I had told Carmen that I liked my cereal with warm milk. Turns out, I don’t. Surprise. I ate it anyway, too embarrassed to admit my mistake! I felt like a cat with a bowl of steaming milk. Still I ate it and grabbed my bocadilla (sandwich for lunch). I headed out for the Plaza de Isobel Catolica. Carmen said it was about a twenty minute walk, and I figured heck I’ll recognize my way. And I did for the first ten minutes. Then I got lost and was freaking out because I was going to be late. I kept thinking “what will I do if they leave without me?” Visions of me sitting by the fountain of Isobel, eating my bocadilla, sobbing flooded my head. After asking three people three different times, I found it! The last person had a map and seemed to be a tourist too. We seemed to understand that pointing and saying “sigue derecho,” and “es cerca” doesn’t really cut it when you are lost and confused.
At last I arrived and excitedly walked into MaryPat’s open arms. It had only been a day but I missed Kelly and MaryPat! The group walked to La Alhambra as we shared stories enthusiastically about our senoras. (Kelly wins hands down as her Senora didn’t know she was COMING! Ah! But it worked out and now Kelly has an amazing senora. She is a professor at the University and takes Kelly out to plays and for tapas! Estoy feliz para Kelly.) Talking became difficult as we walked up the STEEPEST hill I have ever walked up in my life. I immediately regretted wearing my north face as it was so warm. But once we started touring La Alhambra, it cooled off.
I explained what La Alhambra was a little in my last post. Without boring you all with the history, or perhaps getting it wrong, I just tell some interesting details. In my Spanish Art class we will be visiting La Alhambra a lot. I am sure I will get more detailed throughout the semester! Basically La Alhambra was like a closed off city. Tall walls surround La Alhambra protecting it from invaders. Within there are two large homes or I suppose palaces. Little cities existed around these palaces. The foundation for some of these homes still exist. It was interesting to see how the “common” people had homes with communal bathrooms, but as we continued our tour we saw that the richer people, military people, and royalty had buildings with bathrooms and latrines.
That's a bath...imagine bathing when its cold outside! Brr! But there was fire pit behind this wall to heat the water.
I don’t know why, but bathrooms are always interesting when you visit historic sites. I always think, “how did these people figure out scaffolding, algebra, water systems, but not indoor plumbing.” It all seems so intricate and advanced!
Foundations of the homes of the "common" people. Look at the flooring! It's ceramic!
I was very excited...
Miguel Angel is in the red. He is our program director and a really fun guy.
We were lucky that it was such a beautiful day because the buildings are just gorgeous. I took so many pictures and recorded some videos to attempt to capture the incredible beauty of La Alhambra. Everything had intricate detail. Even the ceilings. The ceilings in many rooms looked as if they had been carved out of wood, but it turns out that they carved individual pieces and put it all together like a puzzle.
One of the ceilings. Muy bonita.
These buildings were built by Muslims. The architecture switched to something less decorative when Christian rule took over. I found that interesting considering how beautiful cathedrals are. Still the architecture of this place was so impressive. Granada apparently is on a fault line. It moves ever so slightly every day. So the pillars they built are not made of only stone, but have a layer of lead between the pieces. Because lead is a softer metal it acts as a sort of cushion and allows the pillars to move ever so slightly as the ground shakes. Otherwise the structure would not hold. How intelligent!
Justine and Me
We saw the room where the Sultans would reside. It was interesting the way the room was set up. If it is really sunny out as soon as you walk in your eyes have to adjust. This was so that you could not see the face of the Sultan, but the Sultan would be able to study your face for a bit. And in this room the ceiling was covered in stars. In the center there were 7 levels with stars, representing the 7 levels before heaven. Really cool.
There was one room that was designed in such a way that if you whispered in one corner, it could be heard in the corner across from it as if the person was actually whispering in your ear. I love what you can do with acoustics. It reminded me of the echo spot on campus that Colin showed me. If you stand in this small spot in front of Foellinger and say something, you can hear an echo.
We continued to see amazing viewpoints of Granada from on top of these buildings.
Katherine enjoying the view
I can’t believe I’m living here. To see these mountains, walk cobblestone paths, and see these historic sites is wonderful. I took so many pictures my camera died before half of our tour finished. It was a 5 hour tour.
Definitely a long day for us all...
We stopped for lunch (a sandwich of ham, cheese, lettuce, and butter?) It was good though. We also walked through the gardens. They had black bamboo shoots. Very rare. After the tour we walked back to Plaza Nueva, back down those steep hills. I’m lucky I had Katherine by my side. She prevented me from stepping in any dog poop. (Downside to Granada-people apparently do not see the point in cleaning up their dog’s messes. Watch out where those doggies go…)
We got to Plaza Nueva and were in desperate need of a drink, so we ordered coke at a little restaurant. And the coke here must be special because I can’t see any other reason it should be 2.62 euro! After talking and sitting (ay ay ay am I sore!!) we headed to our homes. I walked half the way with Kelly and got a little turned around. But I was happy to see that I am starting to recognize places and my block.
I came home and only Eduardo was here. My internet wasn’t working so I watched Charlie’s Angel on my computer. I forgot how much that movie doesn’t make sense. I wasn’t sure what to do with myself so I looked over some Spanish vocabulary and thought about what I wanted to say to my Senora. We didn’t eat until around 9:30 and I was starving. She made spaghetti and we had Flan in a snack pack again…probably not a treat I’ll bring back to the states. But we had a really good conversation! I did a lot better with Spanish and we were able to communicate well. I could tell she was getting more comfortable talking with me as well because her Spanish became faster. Also, I told Carmen I like cold milk with my cereal. I know I didn’t speak it perfectly, but I love the feeling of understanding. And when I’m in that mode of speaking Spanish, I start thinking in it. The word for “to shave” just came to me! I probably haven't thought about that word since high school. Immersion is definitely the way to go. I regret always being too shy in my Spanish classes to speak. Although I do know the phrase “no sé” (I don’t know) very well from those days.
Tomorrow classes start. I’m actually really excited to learn more about Spain. And tomorrow night we have a free Salsa class! Buenas Noches.
P.S. People really do eat those ham flavored chips I guess!
Mmm warm milk! Before you know it your Senora will be serving you raw meat. Haha.
ReplyDeleteEverything sounds great, Kaye! I can't wait for more updates.
P.S. I'm determined to find that echo spot by Foellinger. People are probably going to think I'm crazy because I plan on walking around Foellinger talking to myself until I find it! Ha.